1. Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey (First edition): This was a gift from my brother. It's a very important book to me and might be my favorite book.
2. Badlands Hat: I wear this hat when I go running. I have run thousands of miles all over the US with this thing on. It's kind of disgusting...
3. 35mm Camera: I don't shoot too much with this thing anymore since iPhones, but I have had it for years and it has been slung over my shoulder whenever I travel.
4. T-shirt: This is my mom's The Who t-shirt from a concert in 1989... I stole it from her. I'm pretty sure she never gave this to me.
5. Guitar strap: Matthew gave me this for my birthday. It is made by a musician named Jonny Fritz from Nashville.
6. Cat Power came through Austin in mid-December and played a solo show at Antone's. At the end of her set, she threw these flowers that had been on her piano during the whole show. She looked right at me and I caught one.
7. Hair of the Rindu inside a 1,000 Rupiah bill: I spent a month in Bali in 2011. On the last day that I was there, our driver and friend, Putu, started telling me about black magic. He pulled this folded-up Rupiah bill out of a secret compartment in his belt, unfolded it, and showed me what looked like two long whiskers from a pig. He told me he got it from someone who does black magic and that it would bring him all the good things in the world he wanted. Then he gave it to me.
8. Ring: This is the five-year ring from Camp Olympia, where I went as a kid. You get this cool silver ring the fifth year that you go there, and I got mine when I was 14. I still wear it.
9. Amethyst: My mom gave me this, and amethysts remind me of her because she had a lot of them around the house growing up.
10. Frankie's hair: This is [my dog] Frankie's hair from a recent haircut.
11. Red Headed Stranger: Jess got this for me when I was having a rough day. It's just a beautiful record and it came into my life in a really sweet way. Maybe I just like what the record represents.
12. Note: This is an anonymous note someone slipped into our money box on tour in the summer of 2012.
13. Polaroid: My dad took this Polaroid when I was a kid, and that is my hand and a moth I found.
14. Hunter Zippo: A gift I received when I was best man in my best friend's wedding.
15. Texas Armadillo Pin: I bought this at a gas station in the middle of Louisiana. I pinned it to my dopp kit five years ago and it's been there ever since.
16. Gloves: I keep these in my glovebox for when I am working at my family's ranch in South Texas.
17. Dad's Hunting Boots: I took these from my Dad without asking. He has worn these on hunting trips all over the country. He still makes a fuss about me ‘taking these off his hands,’ but he hadn't worn them in years and they're too awesome to just sit in a closet.
18. Buffalo Soap: Jess brought this back from an Indian Casino in Oklahoma where she saw Bonnie Raitt play.
19. Pocket Knife: My Dad bought me this a few years ago. He bought it from a guy named Red Wood. Red hand-makes a couple hundred knives a year in Zephyr, TX.